What is National Disability Insurance Scheme?
The National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) is a new disability support scheme designed to give people with disabilities choice and control over the support they receive.
Who can access National Disability Insurance Scheme?
People can access NDIS who have permanent disabilities that significantly affects some aspects of their lives. This can include communication, mobility, self-care and self-management.
What will I get from National Disability Insurance Scheme?
NDIS will work with you to provide you with “reasonable and necessary” supports designed to lessen the impact of your disability on your life.
NDIS planners will work with you to prepare a plan setting out how you want to live your life and the assistance you need to achieve that.
Support can include providing paid people to help you with personal care, help around the house or to get around in your local community. You may also receive funding for vehicle modification, special equipment or help in finding employment.
What will change from the current system?
The NDIS will place emphasis on each individual being empowered to achieve their goals and receive the supports they need to do so.
People will be able to use their allocated funding the way they want to achieve their aims.
The NDIS will provide choice and independence for each individual and facilitate tailored and flexible responses to individual goals and needs through:
- More choice and control
- A holistic approach to a person’s support needs
- A focus on early intervention
- Assistance at the right time rather than once a person is in crisis
- Supports over a lifetime
- Access to community linkages.
The Federal Parliament in Canberra has agreed to raise the Medicare levy by .5% to pay for the NDIS. This means that all Australians are paying through their taxes to support people with disabilities. The move is very popular in the community because people understand that people with disabilities deserve all the help and support they need to make their lives better.
What’s happening now with NDIS?
This is a significant change that needs to be rolled out and tested gradually to ensure it is sustainable and meets the needs of the people most affected … people with permanent and significant disability, their families and carers.
There are now four launch sites (or trial sites) where the NDIS is being tested:
- Newcastle, Lake Macquarie and Maitland areas in NSW
- Barwon district in Victoria
- Tasmania (people aged 15-24)
- South Australia (children only)
Further information on the rollout of the NDIS can be found on the NDIS website at www.disabilitycareaustralia.gov.au
What should I do now?
The NDIS is scheduled to come to the Central Coast in July 2016. So now is the time to start preparing.
Once the Scheme comes to the Coast, you will be invited to meet with a NDIS planner to find out more about how it applies to you.
You might like to be prepared for that time by thinking about how you would really like your life to be and how NDIS can help you to reach those goals.
What can Coastlink do now to help?
Coastlink welcomes and supports the implementation and introduction of the NDIS across Australia and is particularly excited about the opportunities it will offer to people on the Coast with permanent and significant disability, their families and carers.
For over a quarter of a century, Coastlink has had a reputation for providing quality services and flexible and innovative programs for people with disabilities on the Central Coast of NSW.
Our emphasis has always been on you as an individual and the choices you make. As a registered NDIS Provider, we can work closely with you to prepare for the Scheme’s launch period and rollout.
Coastlink can work with you, your family and carers before you meet with your NDIS Planner, to discuss things like:
- What supports you need to do everyday activities?
- What supports do you currently receive that are working well for you?
- What would you like to change or improve?
- How would you like your life to be in a few years?
- What are your goals and aspirations?
Coastlink is committed to assisting you, your families and carers to live a “Life of Choice and Inclusion”.
Our senior staff can provide information, advice and guidance on how the NDIS will work and would be happy to talk to you about any aspects of the new system. Call and ask for one of our toolkits to help you prepare for the NDIS.
Please call Coastlink on 4321 1022.
- For more information about the NDIS, please go to NDIS FAQs
- National Disability Insurance Scheme Ready: http://www.ndis.gov.au/ndis-ready
- National Disability Insurance Scheme: http://www.ndis.gov.au/
- People with disability: http://www.ndis.gov.au/people-disability
- Families and carers: http://www.ndis.gov.au/families-carers
- Participants: http://www.ndis.gov.au/participants
- Register for NDIS news and updates: http://www.ndis.gov.au/news